Giving Back to our Community
Artesia General Hospital’s mission is to improve the health and lives of our patients and community. We strive to achieve this by making available quality care, but also by exploring community health needs and meeting them through free and low-cost screenings and by providing in-kind service and support for other community programs.
We work closely with community leaders as well as the leadership that make up our Board of Directors, both Special Hospital District and the Governing Board, with an objective to make a positive medical impact on the southeastern region of New Mexico. These boards are made up of both dedicated staff members from Artesia General Hospital and leaders in our community who work together to identify health needs and develop initiatives that effectively address the growing needs of our region.
Our hospital provides hundreds of jobs to citizens and millions of dollars to our local economy. Charity care, subsidized hospital care and the forgiveness of debt are all considered community benefits. In such instances, the hospital uses its revenues and considerable equity to aid patients who would otherwise be unable to receive care.
In addition, we reach into the community and develop initiatives with area organizations that, we believe, can make a difference before health concerns reach critical levels.
Altruism, our concern for the welfare of others, is evident in the following ways we have given back to the community over this past year:
- Free cholesterol screenings
- Free flu shots
- Free glucose screenings
- Free Blood pressure checks
- Free Prostate screenings
- Involvement in corporate employee health and wellness programs
- Food drives for both Altrusa holiday food baskets and replenishment of the St. Vincent de Paul food pantry
- Participation in health and safety fairs as well as blood drives
- Free sports physicals for children in conjunction with the Artesia and Lake Arthur Public School Districts
- Support of local school districts for their athletic programs
- Nutritional education for Artesia Public School Districts middle school students at Zia
- Career Fairs
- Speakers bureau for the continuing education at the Senior Center, Lyons Club, Rotary and Retired Teachers Association
- Advertising and Marketing efforts to the residents of Southeastern New Mexico to ensure they are aware of the medical services and care that is available to them
- Family Support Group for those patients with Alzheimers and Dementia
- Participation in the United Way and donation of carved pumpkins for the Boy Scouts Halloween Fundraiser
- Donation to the Baish Veterans Park renovation
- Donation to the Artesia Police Department’s National Drug and Safety League and National Child Safety Council
- Employee involvement in the Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership for the American Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Support of Ocotillo Theatre
- Representation on the New Mexico State Nurse Excellence Committee
- One of our employees serves on the Lake Arthur School Board
- An employee coaches a youth baseball team